Brandywine

building

The Brandywine School

The Brandywine School was a style of illustration — as well as an artists colony in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, near Brandywine Creek — both founded by artist Howard Pyle (1853–1911) at the end of the 19th century. The works produced there were widely published in adventure novels, magazines and romances in the early 20th Century.

 

Pyle brought his proteges to Chadds Ford for summers of study between 1898 and 1902. It was through the absorption of Pyle's particular style and teaching during these five years that the tradition and center known as the "Brandywine School" emerged. The term since has been applied to more of Pyle's students and their followers, whether or not they worked at Chadds Ford. Pyle was mentor to such successful artists as N. C. Wyeth, Frank E. Schoonover, Stanley M. Arthurs, W.J. Aylward, Thornton Oakley, Violet Oakley, Jessie Willcox Smith, Elizabeth Shippen Green, Clifford Ashley, Anna Whelan Betts, Ethel Franklin Betts, and Harvey Dunn.

Image Gallery

Click to Enlarge

thumb1 thumb2 thumb3 thumb4 thumb5
thumb6 thumb7 thumb8 thumb9 thumb10
thumb11 thumb12 thumb13 thumb14 thumb15